Tomorrow is Friday the 13th

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th and there's the usual buzz about triskaidekaphobia - the fear of the number 13. But what about other phobias?

If you're afraid to read this post, you might just suffer from epistemophobia - the fear of knowledge. And if you can't make up your mind whether or not to continue reading this post, then you may be suffering from decidophobia - the fear of making decisions.

Are you afraid of clowns? A lot of people are! Clowns are marketed as fun and friendly, but for some folks, they are just plain creepy. I won't admit to having coulrophobia - the fear of clowns - but I will say I'm not fond of them. Of course, that could come from a childhood experience; who ever had the bright idea to put a painting of a clown directly across from a dentist's chair? I think somewhere in the back of my memories, I associate clowns with having my teeth drilled!

If you have a fear of bicycles, you have cyclophobia. But what if you're afraid of the bicyclists? Sometimes when you're trying to walk on a rail trail, the bicyclists go speeding by so fast you're surprised you didn't get run over! Maybe that phobia would be bicyclistophobia. Or maybe gettingrunoverbyabicyclistophobia?

If you go into any antique mart, you're likely to come across someone's collection of dolls for sale. If you're afraid of the dolls, you've got pediophobia. And if you're by yourself with those scary baby dolls, you might have a sudden attack of monophobia - the fear of being alone.

Blossoms are lovely, and blooms are fragrant, but if the idea of strolling through a garden center gives you the willies, you might be suffering from anthrophobia - the fear of flowers. And you never know - that could be your husbands excuse for not bringing you flowers in over 5 years - he has become anthrophobic.
On the other hand, if your husband doesn't want to make you dinner, he could be suffering from mageirocophobia - the fear of cooking.

If you watch home decorating shows, you might just see someone complaining about white walls and how they really need some color; maybe they've got a case of leukophobia - the fear of the color white.
And sometimes those home decorating shows will inspire you to do something around your own home; decluttering is always a good idea, but you might find it difficult to do if you're suffering from disposophobia - the fear of throwing things away.

Did you know pets can have phobias, too? A loud crack of thunder always sends my cat running to hide under the couch. My poor kitty has tonitrophobia - fear of thunder.

If after reading this post you decide it's time for lunch and decide to have tuna instead of a pb&j because you're afraid the peanut butter will stick to the roof of your mouth, you've got a case of arachibutyrophobia, which is, of course, the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth!

And with modern times come modern fears: if you read this post and decide to grab your cell phone and call a friend to tell them about it, but you start to have a feeling of dread, you may be having an attack of nomophobia - the fear of losing cell phone service.

Who knows where phobias come from: a childhood memory, an embarrassing situation, a frightening experience. I think most people have some sort of phobia, or at least some thing or situation that makes them uncomfortable.

I hope you have a great Friday the 13th!


*If you have a phobia, and are having difficulty dealing with it, please consult a health care professional. *

2 comments:

  1. What if I'm afraid to go to a health professional because I think they are quacks out to take my money? Hahaha.
    The only phobia I have a problem with is claustrophobia. And that can effect me with my airplane trips. I usually get really hot and sweaty when I know I have to fly on a plane because I feel I am stuck on that plane with no way to get out if anything happens. It's dumb, but it happens. I just end up praying alot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself." I'm assuming that's phobophobia?!

    ReplyDelete