Keywords and Search Results

The Lessons of A New Blogger...

Learning Definitions

Keywords - Simply put, keywords are words in a post, blog, article, or website that causes the search engines to bring up that particular post, blog, article or website when someone searches for that word.

Long tail keywords are several words or a phrase people might use to refine their search. For example, if someone searches for "can I wash my vinyl shower curtain," my post Washing A Vinyl Shower Curtain Liner might show up in their results.

SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the tactic of using keywords, and/or long tail keywords in order to make your post, blog, article, or website show up in the top of the search results.
Most people only click on the results that are shown in the first page or two, so having your post, blog, article or website in the top results is important if you want to be found online.

Making Money

High paying keywords - High paying keywords are certain words found in advertisements. There are a lot of ads of various kinds on the internet and many of them are what's called "Pay Per Click" or "ppc." That means when someone clicks on the ad to view it, the website or blog author makes money. The words found in the highest paying ads are known as "high paying keywords."
Keywords pertaining to lawyers, insurance, mortgages, and certain diseases are usually listed in "high paying keyword" lists available at various sites online.

Many people are trying to make money online and with that comes the attempt to use high paying keywords in their post, blog, article or website in order to be found by search engines and in hopes someone will click on their ads so they can make money. For example: if someone reads a list that states "mesothelioma" is a high paying keyword, they would then use the keyword "mesothelioma,"  and long tail keywords like "mesothelioma symptoms," "mesothelioma settlements," etc.,  in order to be found by the search engines, and thus by someone searching for more information about mesothelioma, in hopes that someone would click the ads on their website.
If a website contains mostly links, ads and little or no content, it can be classified as "spam," but the use of keywords, high paying or otherwise, is also used by people who have great websites with useful content. If someone writes a terrific article about, for example: "window blinds" and someone finds the content useful, and then decides to click on an ad for a "window blind company" displayed on the site, then it is a win-win situation - the person who did the searching found a useful article, and also a link to a company with products that might interest them; the author of the article makes a little money, and the company finds a potential customer.

Interested In How It All Works

As I perused several "high paying keyword" lists, I had to smile and wonder about a couple of the suggested keywords - "breast augmentation San Diego", and "laser hair removal Washington, D.C.". I can only assume from those keywords that there are flat chested people in San Diego, and hairy people in Washington, D.C.  
As to why "Chicago lawyers" are popular, I can only speculate.

Keyword Searches And Odd Results

There are tactics to being "found" on the internet, but there is another whole science in the "searching." Sometimes people are directed to pages that have little or nothing to do with their "search." I just chalk it up to a non-thinking machine (the search engine) trying to help a thinking being.

A couple of examples - I had been doing a lot of Bible study online, and I'd also been doing a lot of genealogy research online. One day, when I searched for a "family tree" for one of my ancestors, "Ephraim Kinder," the top search result was a verse from a German Bible - "Und Joseph sah von Ephraim Kinder des dritten Gleides..." - translation:  "And Joseph saw Ephraim's children to the third generation... " (Genesis 50:23)

"Ephraim Kinder" is "Ephraim's children" in German!
The "helpful" search engine had combined my Bible study with my genealogy research!


Another time I'd been searching for languages spoken in India; a couple of days later, I searched for a totally unrelated subject. The helpful search engine brought up some results in English, and some results in Hindi!

And Your Keyword Results Are...

So, sometimes an internet search engine brings up odd results, and sometimes the website author or blogger shakes their head in wonder as to how their page got "found" for a particular phrase or keyword!

Have you had odd search results?

Have people found your blog or website by odd keywords or phrases?

----------

(Note- If you liked this post, you might also enjoy my post The Allure of Checking Stats)

6 comments:

  1. Some of the more interesting ones this week have been: cut cat, boxing ring red canvas (hunh?), and crocodile under trunk lid. SEOs and keywrods are weird and wacky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That sounds like the beginning of a strange documentary on the National Geographic channel!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I get weird ones because of image searches (I have a lot of drawings on my site). One of the top searches is 'wetsuit wedgies'.

    Stopping by from the Not Mommy Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I didn't even know there was such a thing!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting that you chose mesothelioma for an example keyword. I didn't even knew anyone outside the respiratory medicine or oncology world (or possibly someone who has been affected by the disease) knew that word existed!
    Personally I don't choose how I put my sentences in order to be found on Google, I express myself as I want to express myself. But I'm not one who blogs for money either. I blog for fun, to share stuff with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of mesothelioma until I started seeing ads on tv about it. It is supposedly caused by exposure to asbestos and it wasn't long ago that asbestos was used in a lot of things - I even remember some sort of asbestos pad to sit hot beakers on in science class in middle school!

      A lot of people do just blog for fun, but some also do it for the money. From what I've read, most people don't make very much, but there are some like The ProBlogger or John Chow that make six digits per year.

      Delete