Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of Summer!
No money in the budget for a weekend getaway? Try these ideas for a fun "staycation"!
1. Finish what housework and chores you can before the weekend. Just because you can't get away for the weekend doesn't mean you have to carry on as usual! Mix it up - give yourself the weekend off!
2. Pick up some paper plates, plastic utensils, and styrofoam cups at a dollar store to get yourself into vacation mode and save yourself some cleanup time!
Throw a Summery plastic tablecover on your dining room table to give your place a vacation feel!
3. Plan a Barbecue! Barbecue needs like grills, charcoal, hot dogs, and burger are on sale this week at many stores. Look for coupons, too, and save yourself some money!
4. Visit cool places right on your computer with webcams! Webcams are the ultimate in arm-chair traveling!
See what's going on in New Orleans this weekend with this webcam!
Enjoy watching boats on a canal in Amsterdam with this webcam!
Want to see, and listen, to what's happening at Myrtle Beach? Check out this cool webcam!
Take a look around http://www.earthcam.com/ to find lots more.
5. Put on some music! Still have 45's and LP's? Old CD's? Enjoy some music from your younger days! Do you still remember how to do The Hustle? Can you recall the words to "Don't Worry, Be Happy?"
6. Take a nap! It's the weekend, your chores are done - indulge yourself with an afternoon nap!
7. Pitch a tent in the backyard and camp out at home. Have a sing along. Tell ghost stories. Watch the sky for shooting stars so you can make a wish! Eat smores!
8. Watch a movie online. Youtube has a selection of free movies to stream. Also check out Hulu!
Try a movies you've never seen - how about a campy, old, 1950's B movie?
Don't want to watch online? Some local libraries have cheap movie rentals available.
9. Still want to get out? Go local! Visit a local museum and learn things about your home town you may never have known. Check out a Farmer's Market - many of them will be open this weekend and the strawberries are wonderful this year! Stroll through town and see if there are new shops to explore.
10. Play a game! Ever played badminton? Horsehoes? Outdoor, active games are fun and great exercise. You might even find these games on sale this week at your local department store!
Or try a board game - Monopoly and Scrabble are always favorites.
On a budget? You can pick up a deck of cards inexpensively at a dollar store and learn to play "rummy".
Whatever you decide to do - have a safe and enjoyable weekend!
Some Resources -
Learn to make smores - http://www.kraftbrands.com/honeymaid/smores/Pages/how-to-make-smores.aspx
Find lots of grilling tips - http://www.kingsford.com/