1. Keep window blinds and curtains closed during the day. The warm sun shining in feels great in the winter but it can really heat up the house in the summer.
2. Change your air conditioner filter. This is a quick fix that is simple enough for most people to do themselves. Many stores carry AC filters including Lowes and Kmart. A new filter will help your AC run more efficiently!
3. Use a fan. Fans are available for sale this time of year even in dollar stores and there are sizes and styles to fit every need and budget. You can find small personal fans, (great for use next to the computer to keep cool while reading blogs and playing online games) box fans ( great room coolers!) and big fans on stands. *Just make sure to keep kids and pets away from fans!
4. Stay hydrated. It's easy to get dehydrated when the heat rises, and water is the best choice for hydration. Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge and it's always cold and ready for you to pour a tall glassful.
5. Up early? If the outside temperature is cooler than your AC setting, open up a couple of windows early in the morning and capture the cool of the morning.
6. Head for a public place like a mall, or visit your local library and chill out while you read the latest novels.
7. Having a heat wave? Find out if your local community has "cooling stations" available during heat waves and go there and be cool!
8. Try Chill Towels for instant cooling! Chill Towels are available online or at Walgreens.