I decided to do a little research about colds and flus and found out a couple of interesting tidbits that I didn't know:
- A cold doesn't usually progress into something worse like pneumonia. (As miserable as I have been, this was nice to know!)
- There are over 200 viruses that can cause a cold, but "rhinovirus" is the most common.
- People with colds are more likely to have 'nasal symptoms' like a runny or stuffy nose than those people with a flu.
- And this little bit of information surprised me - A healthy adult can infect other people with the flu for 24 hours before they ever start to show any symptoms! (I bet the flu gets passed around a lot because of this! People might avoid their significant other when they are in the midst of a flu, but the day before they start sneezing and hacking, well....)
- Also, someone with the flu can spread it around for as much as 5-7 days. That's a long time to be contagious! And a lot of people probably feel a little better, or start to get upset with staying at home after a couple of days of the flu and decide to go back to work or school, never knowing they are still spreading the bug around.
Hope you have a wonderful and healthy week!